At GFL Environmental, operating environmentally-sustainable facilities is integral to our corporate values, but more importantly, to the benefit of the communities we live and work in.
We work to protect the air, water, and land at all of our facilities across North America. The environmental services GFL provides require the unique needs at each facility and geographic location to be considered for each of our operations.
At GFL Delta Composting, air quality issues in the form of odour are the primary area of concern to our community. For this reason, our facility has a dedicated Odour Management Plan and Protocol as part of our operating approval with Metro Vancouver.
Please visit our FAQ page to learn more about our odour management practices and our reporting requirements.
The types of organic materials that can be accepted are the GFL Delta Composting facility are documented in our approvals with Metro Vancouver. GFL employees work to reject loads of acceptable materials before they are tipped in our receiving building, and pick unacceptable materials out of the receiving area for appropriate disposal. Acceptable and Unacceptable Material in our permits are provided below.
The Facility may accept for composting purposes the following types of Compostable Material which are considered Municipal Solid Waste:
- Food Waste
- Yard Waste
- Soiled Paper
- Packaged Organic Waste
- Waxed Corrugated Cardboard
- Clean wood waste that has not been treated with anti-sapstain or other wood preserving chemicals,
- Other materials specifically authorized in writing by the Solid Waste Manager and such authorization shall be deemed to form part of this Licence.
For Co-composting purposes, the Facility may accept the following types of Compostable Material which are not considered Municipal Solid Waste:
- Industrial organic waste, other than that specifically excluded in the Unacceptable Material Section below
- Agricultural organic water, other than that specifically excluded in the Unacceptable Material Section below
- Bulk Liquids
- Other materials specifically authorized in writing by the Solid Waste Manager.
The Facility shall not accept any materials while the Facility’s primary composting aeration system is non-functional.
The Facility shall not accept:
- Any other waste not authorized in Acceptable Material section above of this Licence and specifically not:
- Hazardous waste
- Biosolids, wastewater treatment plant sludge, grit, and screenings.
- Dead animals, abattoir waste, hatchery waste, fish waste and chicken manure
- Wood other than clean wood waste that has not been treated with anti-sapstain or other wood preserving chemicals.